We all face a number of critical crossroads in life, when decisions we make will result in far-reaching effects. The career we choose. Who (or whether) to marry. Whether or not to have children. And as we age, another life-changing decision needs to be made: should we move into an assisted living environment so that we have the level of care needed during our years of aging? Or is aging in place at home an option?
As with any important decision, the pros and cons of each option should be considered very carefully. Advanced Home Health Care is here to help seniors and those who love them better understand the options available for aging, so that the most appropriate decision can be made based on each person’s unique situation.
If your loved one is in the initial stages of looking into a move due to issues of aging, answering these questions is a good place to start:
- How important is cost? Following are average costs for different senior living arrangements in our area (based on the 2018 national median):
- Semi-private nursing home room: $7,441/month
- Private nursing home room: $8,365/month
- Aging in place at home with an aide: $4,004/month (based on 44 hours/week)
- Is safety a concern? Seniors with ongoing health complications, challenges with managing activities of daily living (such as personal care, meal preparation, medication management, etc.) or who struggle with cognitive limitations (such as with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia) will need a higher level of assistance to remain safe.
- What about socialization? Isolated, lonely older adults are at risk for a wide range of serious health complications, such as depression.
- Is transportation challenging? When it becomes unsafe for your loved one to drive, alternate transportation solutions need to be explored.
- Is help needed around the home? Maintaining yard work, home repairs, and even daily housekeeping can become a problem for many older adults.
If any of these questions raise a red flag, it may be a good time to think through safe living options. While in that decision-making process, we’d love to talk with you about how Advanced Home Health Care can help. In many instances, these issues as well as others can be resolved through advanced home care services – empowering seniors to age in place at home, where they are most comfortable.
We begin with a complimentary in-home evaluation to determine each person’s specific needs, and then partner with families to create an individualized plan of care to ensure those needs are met.
Before making a decision that may be unalterable – such as selling a home and moving into a nursing home or assisted living facility – contact Advanced Home Health Care, providers of home care and rehabilitation services Mount Pleasant, IA and the surrounding areas trust at 800.791.7785. Allow us to share some suggestions to help make aging in place at home a possibility.