These days, seniors are flooded with a lot of high tech products directed at bettering their self-reliance and safety and contributing to life enhancement. With the touch of a button or two, they can instantly pay a visit “in person” with friends and relatives through Skype, wear a necklace that takes action with emergency services when needed, and even remain safe from getting lost with specialized sensors attached to clothing or shoes. But sometimes, helping seniors adapt to new technology presents challenges.
The question becomes how to inspire older adults (and the family members who care for them) to switch from a low-tech mindset to enjoying all that’s available to them, something that is always top of mind for us at Advanced Home Health Care. A recent Caring.com research report showed that as few as 15% of families providing care for elderly loved ones are actually utilizing technology.
Several typical hurdles:
- A perceived stigma. Many people may see the use of some technology, like medical alert pendants, as equal to the loss of their independence.
- Requiring help. Troubleshooting problems with technology causes many older adults and their caregivers to quit trying to get devices to work.
- Time. Setting aside time to helping seniors adapt to new technology is often particularly problematic for busy families who care for their loved ones.
If you’d like to try and incorporate healthcare technology into senior caregiving but are encountering these difficulties, call on Advanced Home Health Care to learn more about our West Point, Iowa home care and the surrounding communities we serve in the counties of Des Moines, Lee, Henry, Louisa and Van Buren. Our qualified and patient caregivers can help overcome the technological barriers by:
- Suggesting technology that matches a senior’s personality and issues
- Implementing and providing education on how to use the technology
Whether it is providing instruction on how to enjoy applications on a tablet, or arranging for a personal medical alert system, we can keep seniors connected to family and friends and help them enjoy life to the fullest. Contact us any time at 800.791.7785 to learn more.