COVID-19 cases in nursing homes and assisted living facilities have been absolutely devastating, as the sickness spread like wildfire through our most vulnerable population in such close living quarters. As a result, many families decided to move their senior parents home, which raised a number of challenges.
Advanced Home Health Care, one of the leading providers of home care and memory care in Mt. Pleasant and the surrounding areas, is here with the information you require to ensure a smooth transition home for a senior you love. Before the move occurs, think through the answers to the following questions:
- Could there be difficulties related to issues such as pets, smoking, or drinking, either on the part of your parent or somebody else in the home?
- Do any home modifications need to be made, like installing grab bars and railings, additional lighting, or wheelchair accessibility?
- Will there be enough room for the senior to have designated space for privacy?
- Are there any unresolved problems with your aging parent that will impact your ability to provide the best level of care?
- How will vacations be handled? Will the senior have the ability to travel with you, or is there a plan for respite care?
- How will the move affect other loved ones? For instance, will one of the children have to give up his/her bedroom and share with a brother or sister?
- If you work outside of the home, who will take care of the senior while you’re away?
Next, schedule a household meeting. This would include everyone living in the house as well as your siblings or any other loved ones who may want to be involved in the senior’s care. It’s important to offer everyone the opportunity to speak up about any concerns openly and honestly. After all, bringing your aging parent home to live is a life-changing event for every member of the family.
After the family is in agreement with the decision, talk with your parent about the idea. Assess whether the senior has been thriving in the social atmosphere of staying in a facility, and whether she or he will miss the activities and friendships. Reassure the senior that the whole family is thrilled with the concept of inviting her or him home to reside, and address any concerns the senior raises.
First and foremost, know that you’re not alone in your new care responsibilities! Advanced Home Health Care, a trusted provider of memory care in Mt. Pleasant and the surrounding communities, is always here to act as your trusted partner in care, offering as much or as little home care assistance as required.