Providing care for a senior loved one, although rewarding, is definitely not for the faint of heart. The 24/7 stress of meeting all of a loved one’s needs can quickly escalate to the dangerous point of caregiver burnout – which leads to the possibility of losing even more patience and experiencing more emotional outbursts. And, not only is the caregiver herself affected by burnout, but the senior suffers as well.
It’s crucial to recognize if you are at risk of developing caregiver burnout, and seeking outside help if needed. Take just a moment for a self-assessment by reviewing the questions below to help determine if you might be on the brink of caregiver burnout:
- Are you no longer able to participate in favorite activities or hobbies?
- Are you experiencing back pain, headaches, fatigue, and/or sadness and depression?
- Are you coming down with illnesses more often than usual?
- Is your temper shorter than it used to be, either in public or with your loved ones?
- Do you lash out at the senior in your care when he or she behaves erratically or exhibits challenging behaviors?
- Are you feeling more emotional lately? Are you crying for little or no reason or experiencing feelings of despair?
- Have you lost or gained weight unintentionally?
- Are you having trouble falling asleep, or staying asleep through the night?
If you can personally relate to any of these red flags of caregiver burnout, it just might be time to think about enlisting some help, for both yourself and your senior loved one.
At Advanced Home Health Care, our professional caregivers are here to share the load by providing respite care services from as little as just a few hours a week all the way up to around-the-clock, 24-hour care. Respite care allows family members a much-needed chance to step away and take care of personal needs, enjoy some downtime to relax and recharge, and to return to their loved one feeling refreshed and better equipped to provide the highest quality care.
We invite you to contact us any time at 800-791-7785 to learn more about our expert home care in Burlington, IA and the surrounding areas. We can help lower your stress level and maximize the quality of life for senior loved ones.