Receiving a diagnosis of cancer is life-altering, and having a network of support is crucial. When someone you love is undergoing treatment for cancer, you may feel unsure how to best support the person without overstepping boundaries or causing them to feel uncomfortable for any reason. What can you do to best help someone you love through a cancer diagnosis? Our experts in home care and memory care in Mt. Pleasant and the nearby areas have some suggestions to get you started.
- Be present. Just being present, to listen, talk, and even laugh with the person when appropriate, can be helpful to someone who wants to live life as normally as possible in spite of their diagnosis.
- Offer appropriate meals. Cancer treatments like radiation and chemotherapy can cause exhaustion, so preparing meals can be challenging. These treatments can also impact how food tastes. Ask the person what foods might be appetizing, and then prepare meals for them accordingly. Understand that it may take some trial and error to find what is most palatable.
- Ask to find out exactly what they need. Oftentimes, a person with cancer or any other chronic condition will hear from well-meaning family and friends, “Tell me if you need anything!” It’s then up to the person struggling with their diagnosis to figure out what’s needed, and to contact those who offered with ways to help. You can be proactive and find out exactly what will most help the person. On one day, they may wish for help with doing dishes, vacuuming, and laundry, while another day they may really need some healthy meals prepared or simply someone to talk to for a welcome distraction.
- Learn as much as you can. Educate yourself on the type of cancer the person has been diagnosed with to better understand what they are facing. Look online for trusted sources such as Johns Hopkins or the Mayo Clinic.
- Advocate. Help the person organize any questions and concerns prior to their next doctor’s appointment. If they wish, attend the appointment with them and help make sure each issue is addressed.
As the leading provider of home care and memory care in Mt. Pleasant and the surrounding areas, Advanced Home Health Care is here to help those with cancer live more comfortable lives at home. Contact us for more information and resources, or to request a free in-home consultation to find out more about how we can help.