Many times, families make the assumption that given that their loved one is covered by Medicare, paying for care at home is not anything they need to consider. Unfortunately, however, this is a common misconception. As we mentioned in a previous blog post, most people use private funds in paying for care at home. There are several alternatives to look into, though, for home care for veterans and their spouses. As the top Burlington senior care experts that also serve the surrounding area, Advanced Home Health Care outlines the details to help those who have served in the military to obtain all of the resources available to them in paying for care at home.
The first consideration is the Veterans’ Aid and Attendance program, which assists wartime veterans and/or their spouses in paying for care at home, as long as they meet the specific qualifications required to receive these benefits. The individual applying must:
- Have received an honorable or general discharge
- Have physician’s orders stating he or she needs the aid and assistance of others daily
- Meet specific financial requirements
- Have served 1 day during an active war and had no less than 90 days of service
- Be the surviving spouse of a veteran to obtain spousal benefits
Some veterans may also qualify for Housebound to help in paying for their care services. Housebound is a benefit that is paid over and above a monthly pension. Veterans who qualify for Housebound benefits:
- Have a single permanent disability that has been assessed as 100 percent disabling AND, due to such disability, the veteran is permanently and substantially confined to his or her home, OR,
- He or she has a single permanent disability assessed as 100 percent disabling AND, another disability, or disabilities, evaluated as 60 percent or more disabling.
Regulations state that veterans may not receive both Aid and Attendance and Housebound benefits simultaneously, and they must be receiving a monthly pension in order to qualify for either one of these additional benefits.
If you’re wondering if your senior loved one might qualify for Veterans’ Aid and Attendance or Housebound benefits, the Burlington senior care professionals at Advanced Home Health Care are always available to work with you to investigate all your options for funding the in-home senior care your loved one needs. You can reach us at 800.791.7785 or contact us online to learn more about the home and respite care Burlington veterans deserve.