As Jane Austen once said, “There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.” And for someone with a chronic disease, like multiple sclerosis (MS), remaining as comfortable as possible, and, as safe as possible, is essential. Luckily, making multiple sclerosis patients comfortable at home is possible with a few tips and some outside help.
If someone you love has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, the preliminary step should be to seek out the assistance of a professional home care agency with specific expertise in MS-related challenges. A home care agency can perform an in-home safety evaluation and make the appropriate recommendations for alterations to the home so that it is a safe, comfortable sanctuary, rather than a dangerous place.
Multiple sclerosis can make getting around complicated, and since day-to-day tasks — including enjoyable activities — can lead to exhaustion more quickly in people with MS, making specific changes to the home environment might help maintain energy and enhance independence.
Some examples of making multiple sclerosis patients comfortable at home include:
- Substitute thick carpeting with smooth, nonslip flooring for easier mobility
- Place grab bars in the bathroom
- Reposition furniture to widen pathways throughout the residence
- Incorporate items to the tub or shower like a handheld shower head, a slip resistant bathmat, and a tub seat
- Consider installing a bed rail to provide support with changing sleep positions
- Replace knobs throughout the home with handles, which are simpler to manage
Advanced Home Health Care can provide home alteration recommendations and assist with scheduling these customizations to ensure your loved one’s residence is a more convenient place for independence. Just some of the many other ways we can help enhance quality of life for someone with MS include:
- Planning and preparing healthy, delicious meals
- Light housecleaning and laundry
- Assistance with personal care needs, such as bathing, dressing, and using the restroom
- Accompanied transportation to medical appointments, procedures, and enjoyable outings
- Running errands, such as picking up prescriptions and grocery shopping
- Providing pleasant companionship to engage in exercise programs, conversations, fun activities, and favorite pastimes
- Medication reminders so medicines are taken exactly as recommended
- Help with safe ambulation to prevent falls
- And many others, based on each person’s particular needs
To find out more about in-home care in Burlington and the surrounding areas, contact us online, or call us any time toll-free at 800.791.7785, at our Burlington office at 319.753.6270 or our Keokuk office at 319.524.2144. Our in-home care from expert caregivers can help those with MS settle into the comfort of home, while enjoying life to the fullest each day.