A number of older adults who have been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease receive the largest part of their care at home from loved ones, particularly during the initial phases of the disease. As a top-rated provider of in-home care in Burlington and the surrounding areas, we at Advanced Home Health Care understand the unique concerns experienced by family members who provide care for a senior with Parkinson’s, and want you to know you are not alone! We’re always on hand to offer tips and to work with you in making certain your loved one is receiving the best care at all times.
To start, it’s beneficial to keep these Parkinson’s disease care tips in mind:
- Nutrition: A healthy diet helps decrease cell loss in an individual with Parkinson’s. Consuming antioxidants, such as those found in green tea, blueberries, broccoli, spinach, beans and some varieties of nuts, can help fight against oxidative stress.
- Chewing and Swallowing: Those with Parkinson’s commonly have some degree of difficulty with chewing and swallowing. Everyone caring for a loved one with Parkinson’s needs to learn the Heimlich maneuver to be ready in case the person begins to choke.
- Fall Prevention: People with Parkinson’s sometimes have trouble with walking and balance, so it’s very important to assess the home surroundings and make modifications to decrease the risk of falls. Installing items like elevated toilet seats and grab bars where appropriate, and eliminating obstacles in and around the home is a great place to start.
- Anxiety/Depression: Minimizing the risk for anxiety and depression is a main factor in the battle against Parkinson’s. Closely monitor your loved one for evidence of depression, and if suspected, make sure he or she sees the physician for assistance as soon as possible.
- Medications: Parkinson’s treatment options can have a wide range of side effects, and can impact the individual in a multitude of ways. Some kinds of medication can trigger hallucinations or nightmares, for instance. Make sure your loved one’s physician advises you about any potential side effects of medications so you can be prepared.
We invite you to explore Advanced Home Health Care’s top-rated services to find out how respite care can lead to a higher quality of life for both your loved one and the family members who are providing care. By engaging our professional in-home care in Burlington or the surrounding areas, we can assist with some of the more routine aspects of caregiving, giving family members the opportunity to spend more quality time together. Get in touch with us at 800.791.7785 to learn more. Visit our Service Areas page to learn about all of the communities we serve in Des Moines, Lee, Henry, Louisa and Van Buren counties.