A parent’s love for his or her children is ageless. And parents of all ages want to protect their children from troubles, which often leads to hiding their own concerns. Added to that, when family members live far apart from each other, it can be tough to gauge how healthy senior parents actually are.
One of the leading aspects of concern in growing older is a decline in dietary behaviors resulting in poor senior nutrition. If you’re concerned that your aging loved ones may not be getting appropriate nutrients to stay healthy and well, the following quick assessment can help pinpoint potential red flags:
- Has the older person reported loss of appetite, digestive issues, or chewing or swallowing difficulties? Has there been decreased food consumption over the past 3 months as a result of these issues?
- Has the older person encountered weight loss during the last 3 months? Losing weight, especially in individuals who have a less active lifestyle, can be a signal that the person is not eating properly.
- Does the older adult have problems with mobility? Being bedbound or unable to get out of the house can cause nutritional challenges like lack of ability to buy groceries or prepare meals.
- Has the older person experienced psychological stress or acute disease in the past 3 months?
- What is the older person’s body mass index (BMI)? A BMI of 18.5 or below may be an indication that the person is not eating enough, while a BMI of 30 or more can indicate obesity.
If you find through this assessment that a senior loved one may be having difficulties with nutritional issues, it’s always best to first check in with his or her physician. Advanced Home Health Care can also assist with dietary concerns and any other in-home senior care needs, through a wide range of services that can include:
- Meal preparation
- Transportation and accompaniment to doctors’ appointments
- Light housework
- Running errands
- Medication reminders
- And more
Our expert senior personal care in Burlington, IA offers compassionate, fully trained, background screened caregivers. We are available around the clock, according to each senior’s individual needs and schedule. You can reach us at 800.791.7785 to learn more. See our full service area throughout Iowa here.