Though the yuletide season is usually thought of as a time that is joyful, filled with visiting those who are nearest and dearest and picking out the perfect gifts, for older individuals, it can be anything but merry and bright. A combination of lost loved ones, memories of holidays past, health issues and more can impact seniors with feelings of lonesomeness and sadness.
At Advanced Home Health Care, providers of the home care Mt. Pleasant, IA families trust, we care deeply about making sure seniors feel included in the celebrations and enjoy the holiday season to the fullest. These suggestions can help everyone enjoy the wonder of the holiday season together:
- Create a cookbook with recipes from all family members. Accumulate all the recipes, and then make copies of your new family cookbook.
- Take a drive to enjoy holiday lights in an old community that your older family member has memories of.
- If your senior loved one has difficulty moving around to put out holiday decorations, offer your assistance! This is a great way to share memories of past holidays and the meaning behind different decorations. Advanced Home Health Care can also provide help with holiday decorating.
- For a holiday that is really relaxing, schedule time together at a local beauty shop or spa. You can even arrange for a local beautician or masseuse to come to the home if it’s possible.
Safety precautions may also come into play for your older loved one, for a variety of reasons: elevated fall risks with all of the extra holiday décor, difficulties with following a prescribed dietary plan, and for those with Alzheimer’s disease or other types of dementia, disruption to routine, additional visitors to the home, and higher noise levels can all cause stress.
Bear the following in mind to be sure your senior loved ones stay safe and content:
- Keep decoration safety in mind. Ensure that there are clear walking paths, and try to utilize simple, uncluttered decorations.
- Subdued lighting can hide things that older adults could possibly trip over, like extension cords.
- Designate a quiet area for the senior if the excitement of young children, loud music and activities become overwhelming.
- Appoint someone to be the older adult’s “buddy” for the event, ensuring his or her needs are fully met and creating a bond that is wonderful for both.
The holiday season can certainly be fun and relaxing for all. With just a little advance planning and additional thought, older individuals will enjoy the holidays as much as everyone else, producing new memories that the whole family will enjoy for a lifetime.
And, if in the midst of the holiday hustle and bustle you could use the assistance of a professional caregiver, Advanced Home Health Care, providers of the best home care Mt. Pleasant, IA has to offer, is here to help! Give us a call at 800.791.7785 to learn more about how we can brighten the holidays for you and yours and for more ideas for fun activities for the elderly to enjoy this holiday season. See the full list of communities we service throughout Iowa here.