As a degenerating neurological disease, ALS (sometimes called Lou Gehrig’s Disease) can lead to a wide variety of physical obstacles that can lead to clinical depression. For those providing ALS care for a loved one, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed and to feel unsure about how to best help the person live life to the fullest and stay optimistic.
When providing ALS care at home, it is crucial for family caregivers to understand the struggles that the disease produces so they can provide the very best care.
- Individuals with muscle diseases such as ALS are proficient thinkers even if they are unable to communicate clearly. Examine choices openly and make joint decisions regarding the individual’s ALS care.
- Inquire if the person wants assistance before helping. Try not to take over tasks that still can be performed if the person is provided with adaptive products and time.
- Patience is crucial. While it may often seem faster and more efficient for you to take over certain tasks, be patient and allow the person to complete the tasks that he/she can.
- Set up a computer and internet access. Computers and other assistive systems offer entertainment and social interaction and make it possible for the individual with muscle disease to help with tasks like paying bills, tracking down information, hiring services, and shopping.
- Use adaptive devices. The use of adaptive equipment like wheelchairs is a move in the direction of self-sufficiency, not away from it. Adaptive tools are obtainable for various everyday tasks such as eating, opening jars and doors, buttoning or zipping up clothing, writing and taking a shower.
For individuals with Lou Gehrig’s disease, self-reliance and exceptional ALS care are essential. The home care experts at Advanced Home Health Care are fully trained and experienced to help provide the care and assistance needed to ensure people with ALS live their best lives, and their loved ones receive the respite they need. If you would like to learn more about our expert ALS care, contact us any time. View our full service area here.